Saturday, August 4, 2007

Blizzcon - Day 1, 2007


Well Blizzcon is upon us, and the rumors are true the next expansion for World of Warcraft will be Wrath of the Lich King! I find it strange that they would leapfrog right away to the baddest boss in Azeroth but they might be feeling the pressure from Warhammer among others and feel the need to impress with their big guns.


The new "Hero" class, Death Knight seems interesting in the fact that they will be available to everyone as an unlockable and won't overwrite the character you're completing the quests on to unlock. The combat system consists of 2-handed weapon or dual-wielding tanking, no shield required and no mana/energy/rage bar but rather a totally new system using different runes (blood, frost, unholy) etched on your weapon when out of combat. This in addition to the new profession that allows you to alter your spells could lead to some very cool possibilities. Also, I should note that the class isn't meant to be super powerful over the current classes, Hero merely refers to the epic quest line that you must complete to have a Death Knight character.



Furthermore during the class philosophy panel when they got to paladins (boos could be heard) and paladin dps (laughter roared). However, beyond the mob mentality Blizzard seems quite aware of the problems with retribution and protection and is looking to implement the changes in patch 2.3, that would buff paladin dps in the retribution tree while tweaking protection to bring them in line with bears and warriors (hp pool was mentioned). Retribution itemization was also brought up and they admitted to the pitfalls and were also looking to correct them. It was also mentioned that they want to make it so every spec has a role in each facet of the game (I'm paraphrasing here), which further reinforces the upcoming retribution and protection changes. This is wonderful news and I really can't wait to see what they change to make retribution fun and viable in PvE and PvP (Arena included). This could just be more empty promises but with the new expansion/warhammer/death knights, I feel that they might honestly want to rectify the problem that they let fester for so long.



With this news of retribution buffs, and the new expansion being teeming with undead and the true betrayer of the light Arthas, I can honestly say I am FAR more excited now for Wrath of the Lich King than I EVER was for The Burning Crusade. If all goes according to planned: Holy Warrior here I come!



No comments: