We are the tank/healer class according to Blizzard PR yet the question always remains on my mind after hearing this: what is the retribution tree for then? If we aren't supposed to be able to specialize for damage (like every other class in the game) then why have a teaser of a tree available to increase our already last place damage? I began to think about it longer and came to the conclusion that the only way to fix the problem is to refocus the tree and rather than boosting our own damage we punish our enemies, causing their own damage to go down drastically. Additionally, considering we have a lot of buffs to make our groups and raids stronger the tree should also house new abilities to boost their damage. By doing these things the tree has a clear focus that doesn't conflict with the tank/healer label and also doesn't raise our own damage higher than designed and most importantly lets the retribution paladin get back in melee for a very good reason.
When looking through the retribution tree I can see that there are some debuff talents that fit with the theme I just mentioned. Namely Vindication and Sanctified Crusader, both of which do what they need to do for their placement in the tree but the tree needs more talents along this line. While playing in Outland I came across NPCs that had a spellbreaker debuff that drastically reduced my spell damage and other units that had a debilitating strike that drastically lowered my physical damage. Both of these abilities would be worthy candidates as retribution talents. Think of it: the ability to lower your opponents damage output whether it be magic or physical, therefore doing your job of guardian and protecting your group, not by heals but by your own weapon.
I think that Blizzard might have already solved the problem that retribution is dealing with currently and don't even know it yet. Retribution doesn't mean mega damage but rather punishment, what better punishment than having hot head damage classes taken down a few pegs? Or hard hitting bosses hitting for less on your MT? Raid and PvP viability achieved while giving the option for paladins that yearn to get back into melee in raids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yes, I think this would be a great way to go, every other class has a dps tree with which can do considerable amout of damage, take a shadow priest and a feral druid as an example. I don't have to have huge amout of damage, I don't need to be first in damage meter, but as you said, as we are designed as guardians and protectors why we shouldn't have some nice debuffs (the JoL and JoW aren't that great) or something like that?
Post a Comment